Monday, 8 June 2015

Tony Campolo and Same-Sex Marriage

Tony Campolo has released a statement regarding same-sex marriage.


In it he says, '...I have done my best to preach the Gospel, care for the poor and oppressed, and earnestly motivate others to do the same. Because of my open concern for social justice, in recent years I have been asked the same question over and over again: Are you ready to fully accept into the Church those gay Christian couples who have made a lifetime commitment to one another?'

He then goes on to say,


'It has taken countless hours of prayer, study, conversation and emotional turmoil to bring me to the place where I am finally ready to call for the full acceptance of Christian gay couples into the Church.'

Campolo has for many years been the epitome of 'evangelical', someone whom evangelicals see as 'one of their own'.

This statement will send shockwaves through evangelicalism and is a sign that things are dramatically changing within the evangelical world.

At the end of the article he says,

'...I am old enough to remember when we in the Church made strong biblical cases for keeping women out of teaching roles in the Church, and when divorced and remarried people often were excluded from fellowship altogether on the basis of scripture. Not long before that, some Christians even made biblical cases supporting slavery. Many of those people were sincere believers, but most of us now agree that they were wrong. I am afraid we are making the same kind of mistake again, which is why I am speaking out.

I hope what I have written here will help my fellow Christians to lovingly welcome all of our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters into the Church.'

You can read the full statement here.

No comments: