Monday, 3 September 2012

Jehovah's Witnesses and Truth

The Jehovah's Witnesses came round on Saturday.

One of my mate's and I have spoken quite a bit about having visits from the JW's and how best to actually engage in conversation.  When they come round they have a set agenda and questions that they ask in order to speak according to how they have been 'trained'.  My mate and I both agreed that it is pointless to enter into discussions like this because you're never really having a proper conversation and actually getting to know them as real people.  So if they ever come round I actually try and get to know them as people.

On Saturday I said to them I was interested in truth and honesty.  I said to them that I wanted them to be honest with me as to why they were standing on my door step.  I told them not to give me all the pre-planned chat that they always use but to simply be honest with me about why they were standing on my door step.  So they shared a little bit, but kept going back into their safe shell of pre-planned chat.

And then they started to say things that simply are not true and I really challenged them about this.

They come out with blanket statements that simply are not true, but if someone is not aware then they will swallow these statements.  And I've got no time for lies and half-truths.  If we're going to chat and discuss anything we need to speak truthfully to each other otherwise there is no point.

'We're the only organised religion who believe in pacifism.'

'We're the only organised religion who opposed Hitler.'

'The Christian Church teaches that people are resurrected without a body.'

'The Christian Church doesn't believe Jesus is King of the earth.'

These are all statements that were said to me on Saturday, all of which are false.  So I told them that they were false and gave them concrete examples of why these statements are false.  I said to them that it is not right that they stand on my door step saying things that simply are not true about the Church.

I told them that Quakers, Mennonites, Anabaptists are examples of pacifists within the Christian Church.

I told them to look up history properly and not Jehovah's Witness history and they will find the 'Confessing Church' who opposed Hitler.

I told them that the orthodox position held by the Christian Church (which I take are any who can declare the Nicene Creed) is that those in Christ will be resurrected with a body, as Jesus himself was raised with a body.

I told them that the Christian Church absolutely believes Jesus is King of the earth and will establish his Kingdom upon the earth for all eternity.

I told them that they can't make statements like this unless they really knew what they were talking about.  I told them that they needed to read Christian writers to actually know what the Church believes.

I said that I am interested in the truth, and if they are standing on my door-step being untruthful then that simply is not right.

To be fair to the two guys, they had obviously been told these statements and were simply repeating them.  But then this is the problem.  They had not thought or looked into these things for themselves.

I hope I see them again...



2 comments:

Danny Haszard said...

Most Jehovah's Witnesses are decent folk who are trapped in an oppressive cult like organization the Watchtower society.

The Watchtower core dogma is Jesus 'invisible' return or second coming October 1914,this is a false doctrine.
Matthew 7:15-16 "Be on the watch for the false prophets,who come to you in sheep's clothing....."
God bless-Danny Haszard

RDM said...

I was just wondering who your "mate" was?