Wednesday, 29 June 2011

I'm Tired

'Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.' Jesus in Matthew's Gospel


I feel really tired today.  I've felt really tired for a few weeks now.  


You know when you're tired in your whole being.  The physical tiredness is linked to being mentally and spiritually tired.  


I'm not unhappy.  I feel a bit frustrated, namely with myself for not being able to do and be all I want to do and be.  Frustrated, yes, unhappy, no.


I knew that church planting would be hard work.  I knew that it would be liberating, exciting and amazing.  But I also knew it would be hard work.  And that's ok.  It is meant to be hard work.  That is the nature of Christian ministry.  Whether the church is growing by 100 a week or 1 a year, it is hard work. 


So I'm not unhappy.  I am encouraged and excited by all that is happening.  I have a beautiful family who fill me with love and joy every day. I can see a church beginning to grow.


But I am tired.  So time to rest.  Time to have a holiday.  Time to recharge.  Looking forward to my holiday next week.


Time to learn once again the unforced rhythms of grace that Jesus seeks to teach us. Time to rest with Him and learn from Him about what it means to live and love in relationship with God. Time to remove anything from my life that is ill-fitting and wearing me out and allow God to put upon me that which is right and freeing.  Time to keep company with Jesus and remember my first love.


Time to enjoy time resting with God.    

1 comment:

Tony Mayes said...

enjoy your holiday hope its restful