Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Identity

My twin bro has been posting on identity. Go here to read more on this.

He mentions some questions he asks of himself in order to understand his own identity. One of those questions is 'What do you do?'

I find this question really tough to answer.

My job is a Baptist Minister. I'm ordained as a Rev and am now church planting. People have always said that I'm a evangelist and so for a few years now that is what I have done.

But the more I think about the harder I find it to define what I do.

I'm a committed follower of Jesus. I want to live my life in a way that shows people that I am sold out for Jesus. I want to live like Him.

But I see this as a whole life thing. So every moment of every day should be a desire for this. My role is to introduce people to the love and grace of God. I'm here to bring God's love and Kingdom through my words and actions. I am called to love people unconditionally as God loves every one of us unconditionally. I am called to be an instrument of love and grace.

So when does my job stop and start? When do I go from Joe to Rev?

I'm not sure there is a distinction.

So I love because I love because I love. I don't love at certain times in certain situations.

The lines become blurred and life becomes messy between when I'm at work and when I'm not. But surely love is never 'work'? Surely it should never be like that?

What do I do? More like, who am I?

1 comment:

Tom Haward said...

You come from a culture which says you must 'switch off' and leave church business at church. Maybe what you're finding is how church isn't a business but something much more human. You know that already, but you're in a framework (Baptist Union) which probably doesn't...