Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Peace

'As I write this a madman is howling in the next room, and I am howling with him inside of me, howling for my lost integrity, sundered from God, Man and myself, shattered in body, mind and spirit, yearning for two clasped hands to usher in the great miracle - the unity of my being.' Friedrich Nietzsche, My Sister and I, p233

Peace can be an elusive thing.

Some argue that the book above was not actually written by Nietzsche, while others more recently believe that is was. Whether it was or wasn't, I'm sure many have felt like the quote above.

Howling inside.

Shattered.

Yearning for unity within and without.

Longing for peace.

*WARNING BAD LANGUAGE*


We can read all the books in the world on how to find peace. We can study every guru and philosopher, every writer and expert on peace. We can travel the world, climb a mountain or dive in the ocean looking for peace.

Yet if we have no centre, nothing that compels us from within, that gives meaning to our words and actions, then we will never discover peace.

If we have no meaning to life, no reason for our own existence and no real concern or reason about the existence of others, then we will never discover peace.

If God is a thought or philosophy, a theory or personal preference, then peace will never come.

Peace is encountered as we live in relationship with the living God. Peace is given to us by the Prince of Peace who is Jesus. As we are compelled from within and without by Jesus, then peace compels our hearts and actions. As we discover meaning to our lives by being in relationship with Jesus, then we discover an overflow of love for others. As we recognise that God is not a theory or personal preference, but the dynamic and living Lord of the universe we are unsettled by ourselves, but given peace from God because of who Jesus is.

We encounter peace as we are sent to be peacemakers.

We encounter peace as we go into our communities to be bearers of God's love.

'Jesus said "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."' John 20:21-22

No comments: