Monday, 24 January 2011

Sin and Consequences

I have been reflecting recently on sin, consequences and forgiveness.

As I have said before, I think that sin at its root is that we have not loved God with all that we are and failed to love one another properly. The consequence of this is that we are 'sin-sick' and 'disorientated' and therefore struggle to know our full potential as humans.

What I mean by 'sin-sick' is that because we have not loved God properly and focus our love, attention and worship on other things, we are becoming like the things we worship. Whatever these things are cannot ultimately bring life however and so death is what awaits us. So Jesus came to cure us, to bring us life, rid us of death and enable us to become the people that God desires us to become.

Jesus shows us what true humanity is in all its beauty.

What I mean by 'disorientated' is that we are not sure where God is and so go on various different journeys looking for God or 'gods' but never quite sure where God is.

As a result, us and all of creation, instead of us journeying towards God to one day reach the goal (the goal being in relationship with God and finding our true purpose in Jesus), we travel a different road, a different path, and lose our way. Jesus re-orientates us back to the right path heading in the right direction towards God, towards His love, grace and beauty.

The thing is, even when we are re-orientated back to God and begin to discover our true humanity in Jesus, the consequences of our sin may still be felt and known. When I come to God and ask for forgiveness and begin a new life with Him, He utterly and completely forgives me. But the consequences of my sin may be felt, possibly, for a life-time.

Take my teeth as a small and insignificant example.

I was a very heavy drinker as I have commented in my story. I drank a lot of vodka and smoked a lot of cigarettes and abused my body for a number of years. The result of this is that my teeth are now paying the price. I need to continue to have work done to them because the years of abuse as finally caught up.

Now I know that my past is dealt with, that I am forgiven, that I am a new person, but the consequences of my actions are still felt.

So we must be aware of our actions and the effect they may have.


1 comment:

heather joy said...

The cruelest word, the coldest heart,
The deepest wound, the endless dark,
The lonely ache, the burning tears,
The bitter nights, the wasted years;
Life breaks and falls apart,
But we know these are:
Places where grace is soon to be so amazing.
They may be unfulfilled, they may be unrestored,
But when anything that’s shattered is laid before the Lord,
Just watch and see, it will not be unredeemed.
For every choice that led to shame
And all the love that never came.
For every vow that someone broke
And every life that gave up hope.
We live in the shadow of the fall,
But the cross says these are all:
Places where grace is soon to be so amazing.
They may be unfulfilled, they may be unrestored,
But when anything that’s shattered is laid before the Lord,
Just watch and see, it will not be unredeemed.
Places where grace is soon to be so amazing.
They may be unfulfilled, they may be unrestored,
But you never know the miracle the Father has in store,
Just watch and see, it will not be,
Just watch and see, it will not be unredeemed.

Words and Music by Brian David Petak, Tony Wood and Chad Cates
Arranged by Jay Rouse