Monday, 27 September 2010

Pub, pool and Jesus

So last night was my first pool match in the league for my local pub. I got to the pub and the rest of the team hadn't turned up yet so I got chatting to three people at the bar, Lynn, Richard and Graham.

The could see I wasn't a local so wanted to know who I was and where I had come from. Conversation quickly turned to work and I shared how I was a Rev. For the next couple of hours we all chatted over a drink about who Jesus is, faith, life, suffering etc etc. They had deep respect for me and my calling and found my faith story really interesting.

Lynn was fascinating. She was in her late 30's and worked for a care home for those with various forms of dementia. She spoke openly about her views on who God is and what faith is all about. She was very raw and real and didn't pull any punches. It was good to talk with her.

By the end of the evening Lynn said that whenever I start this new church she wants to be a part of it. She said that she would love to come and be a part of this new community.

It was a good night.

Oh yeah, the other pool team didn't turn up because they all had a hangover so those of us who were there played winner stays on the table. I won five and lost two, so pretty pleased with that! Hopefully next week we'll have our first proper match.

2 comments:

carl said...

Spot on - sounds like a good night matey! Sounds like you're pretty good at pool as well...but almost certainly too honest to hustle and make a bit of cash to top up your stipend ;-) Did you get that article I emailed to you?

Joe Haward said...

I know! I should have kept my pool playing skills quiet! ;0)
I got the article thank you mate. Brilliant! Best sermon I have heard for a while and it was written by an atheist...!