Monday, 26 July 2010

Old Ideas, New Meme


1. Name one idea that used to be seen as a key Christian theme, but is nowadays regarded as either irrelevant or outdated, although you think it still has a lot to offer.
2. In two sentences say something about why you selected this, and why it should be recovered or renewed.
3. Tag three people.

It struck me that with this that a lot depends on what tradition you are from. Sam listed spiritual warfare in his meme, yet I suspect some traditions would still today see this as very relevant. So my meme is, I suspect, relevant to the tradition I am a part of.

1. The doctrine of recapitulation. This was Irenaeus' (2nd Century Christian theologian) 'big idea'. He believed that creation was not created perfect but 'good' with a goal of becoming perfect. Creation's goal was towards God. In other words, God created everything to have a goal of becoming something better than it was right now. The best was yet to come! Sin distorted all this though so everything was heading away from God, not towards Him. Jesus came and sorted all this out though, so through Him all things will be reconciled to Himself by His shed blood on the Cross (Colossians 1:20).

2. I selected this because I believe it is extremely relevant for mission today and the world in which we live. Jesus will return one day, so the best is yet to come. The Church is called to live this truth out in practical mission (healing, hope, forgiveness etc).

3. I tag Tim A, Tom and Peter B

'The night is darkest just before the dawn. I promise you, the dawn is coming.'


No comments: