Monday, 8 February 2010

It's all about understanding

An interesting article about David Cameron. He was interviewed by the gay magazine Attitude where he says that 'if our Lord Jesus was around today he would very much be backing a strong agenda on equality and equal rights, and not judging people on their sexuality.'

There is a long ongoing conversation that people need to be having about what worship is and what it isn't. Rev Sam and I have spoken a lot about this before and I think the conversation is ever more important between church leaders (those called to help people to worship God) as churches grapple with how to engage in meaningful ways with the community and how to love God with all that we are and worship him in Spirit and in Truth.

A very good article from Cranmer speaking out against the recent article by Dawkins in the Times. A read the article last week and was going to comment on it and then couldn't be bothered! It seems a real caricature of Dawkins, almost like it was ghost written. I was a little surprised by it, in that his understanding of Christianity is so deeply flawed. I know Dawkins often reads the Bible and approaches it as a fundamentalist does, but I would have thought that by now he would have educated himself better in Christian theology and history if he really wants to tear it apart. But then I suppose a faulty and false 'christianity' is much easier to tear down than the reality. The article is sub-standard, flawed and really very bad. Read it for yourself.

Finally, I have decided to have an evening where I share in greater depth what I believe God has called us to do in Newton Abbot. I will share my thoughts and theology on what this church plant will be grounded on and how it will look in practice. I have had a number of people ask me about it and because it will be church, but 'not as we know it' it is difficult to explain in 30 seconds, so I will host an evening soon to share what we will be going to do in Newton Abbot. I will let you know when it is so that those who are able and want to, can come and share in the evening.

No comments: