Monday, 11 January 2010

God is our Refuge...

'God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in times of trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.'

When we were in India, this psalm was often quoted by our tutor when he spoke to the various churches that we visited. And every time it seemed to bring some kind of encouragement and peace to those who heard it, 'God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in times of trouble.' These guys knew trouble and knew God as their strength.

I read this psalm this morning and it gave me a sense of peace too. I have been living in quite a lot of quiet fear recently. I have stored it up within myself, tried to lock it away and forget about it. Yet it rises to the surface and reveals itself in a variety of ways, physically, emotionally and spiritually. That is why I have not been doing to well recently.

Fear is the opposite to faith.

This is a time in my life when I need Jesus to increase my faith.

'I will not fear, though the earth give way.'

Recently it has felt like there are many situations of the 'earth giving way', of family, friends and loved ones whose lives seem to be going out of control. And it has filled me with anguish and fear.

My life has been challenging as Sarah, Grace and I seek a new ministry. Where are you leading us Lord? And I confess my sin of fear and not trusting God as I should. But I will not fear because God is our refuge and our strength, an ever present help in times of trouble.

I know this is a time of refining, with God seeking to change me to become more the person he wants me to be. It is a time when I am being called to 'be still and know that He is God.' He will be exalted in all the earth and as I am still and rest in his presence I am sure I will see this happening, and in seeing this happening I pray that faith will rise in my heart like the dawning of a new day.

I have to trust God with my life, my family's lives and the lives of all whom I love.

'God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in times of trouble. Therefore, we will not fear...'

No comments: