Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Good Conversations

I really enjoy meeting and talking with people who are honest and straight talking. I think it gives people real integrity.

I don't like it when I'm talking to someone when I know that they are simply saying what they think I want to hear.

I don't like it when I'm with people and I say things I think they want to hear.

I like it when we can simply be honest about who we are with each other.

That's one of the reasons me and my bro Tom get on so well. We had a bite to eat together last night and it was good chatting, being honest with each other. It's always good.

I enjoy his company, and I enjoy listening to what he has to say. He has thought things through. He has read a lot. He knows what's going on in the world. We can have good conversation. We can laugh together.

I like that he will not let you spout off some evangelical spiel. He's heard it all before. And that's good for me. because it makes me think about what I believe. It makes me question the stuff I hear. It helps me believe what I believe because I believe it.

I think Christmas is all about honesty and integrity. I think it is about conventional understandings of God being blown out of the water. I think it is about challenging our notions and understandings of God, love and humanity and turning them upside down, causing us to think differently about them all.

I think that really is a good conversation worth having.

2 comments:

Tom said...

I enjoy hearing what you have to say too, bro. It gives me faith in aspects of the Church, although I could never be a part of it again. I still believe others can benefit from it when there's people like you in it.

It's great to hear a bit of evangelical spiel every now and then though; it keeps be insane. ;)

Joe Haward said...

:0)

Well I hope people can benefit from it. Understand completely why you could never be a part of it again. Maybe when we meet it's more 'church' than some Sunday morning's...?!