Thursday, 19 November 2009

Difficult words from Jesus

Here are some of the things that Jesus said that I find really hard to read. And thinking about it, I have never heard anyone speak or preach from these passages. This might be a good meme...

"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." Luke 12:49-53

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Matthew 7:21-23

He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:59-62

What words from Jesus do you struggle with?

I tag Sam, David, Banksy and Tim



5 comments:

Sam Norton said...

I've preached on all three of those passages... some more than once!

dmk said...

Good challenge, I'll give it some thought. I struggle more sometimes with the stuff I do understand, but find it hard to live up to.

Joe Haward said...

Good on ya Sam. But then you are a trouble maker :0)

David - You are so right. Been reflecting on that quite a bit recently. God and Money etc.

BanksyBoy said...

I'm on it...! Need to contemplate, have one passage immediately.

Seen I've tagged you too?!

Joe Haward said...

I saw the tag cheers! Just thinking it through... it is a good one.