Thursday, 12 November 2009

Crash

Had a great evening last night. I have begun something called 'Crash'. The concept is that I invite a few people around my home for a meal. The people will come from a variety of beliefs, world-views and backgrounds. One person (who has already been asked) then shares for 10 minutes on a particular subject which then leads us into the evenings chat and discussion. So over good food, good wine (or orange juice!) and good company we chat and discuss the issue that has been raised and see how the conversations evolve.

The idea is that people from different belief systems can come together over a meal and through talking and discussion can find some common ground. So often two opposing views come crashing together and we seek answers from among the wreckage. 'Crash' seeks to find those answers before we collide. Rules are that we respect each others views even if we don't agree and don't hog the evening with the sound of one persons voice!

Last night was the very first time I have tried it and I believe it went really well. Carl spoke about the Incarnation and what was the point of Christ at Christmas. We looked at issues of love and freedom, church and culture, faith and atheism, and discussed and chatted these things though. It is something I am going to continue to do and hope it becomes something that enriches people and helps people experience new views and opinions.

I want to invite people to come and share. I can't afford to pay people, but I can offer good food, wine and company! If you would be interested in speaking for 10 minutes at one of these evenings and then stay to eat, drink and answer questions, then please get in touch. It can be about anything, as long as it provokes discussion and interest. It can about about atheism, homosexuality, fundamentalism, the environment, poverty or whatever. I want people who can speak with real clarity for 10 minutes on a subject they are passionate about that can then be chatted over and discussed for the rest of the evening. If you're interested then get in touch and we'll see.
Thanks to everyone who was involved (Tim, Cas, Carl, Sarah, Tom, Adam and my beautiful wife!)

'I think we miss touch so much that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.'

7 comments:

Sam Norton said...

I'm up for it - if you can think of an (in)appropriate topic :)

Joe Haward said...

;) Ok, I'll have a think and get back to you. Be good to have you come a long and speak. I'm gonna host another one in January sometime, so I'll mail you and let you know.

Pedro Garcia Millan said...

ALERTA!

La estafa automotriz mas grande en el territorio Mexicano…

Para MAS informacion pinche:

http://pedromillan.blogspot.com/2009/10/wwwexpoautoscommx.html

Gracias

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Amie Spiller said...

I would be willing to do this - id prob talk about sex and my views on it because i know they are very different to what they once were and it challenges traditional christian beliefs.

Let us know

Sounds like an awesome idea!

Amie x

dmk said...

What a great idea, and a great title. When are you touring Somerset?

Joe Haward said...

Anon - Thanks :0)

Amie - Cheers for the offer. I'll have a think and get back to you. I was thinking of doing an evening discussing sexuality rather than sex though.

David - Thanks. I'd love to come to Somerset and be involved in one! ;0) Be great to spread it out...