Thursday, 15 October 2009

A cry against the 'king'

'The economics of affluence and the politics of oppression are the most characteristic marks of the Solomonic achievement...So the third foundational element I suggest is the establishment of a controlled, static religion in which God and his temple have become part of the royal landscape, in which the sovereignty of God is fully subordinated to the purpose of the king...Now there is no notion that God is free...Now God is totally and unquestionably accessible to the king and those to whom the king grants access...it gives the king a monopoly so that no marginal person may approach God except on this king's terms. There will be no disturbing cry against the king here.'
Brueggeman, The Prophetic Imagination p 28-29

Now this can easily be seen in terms of oppressive governments and regimes in history. But it can also be seen in the church in the West today. Every denomination and movement and stream old and new. None escape this worrying charge. I would want to say that the church is the 'king'...

5 comments:

Sam Norton said...

The _church_ is the king?!? Possibly, but if so, realistically only about tenth in line to the throne.

Have you read my stuff on TTowns? http://www.cofe-worcester.org.uk/work_of_the_diocese/doc_lib/JS09PeakOil.pdf

Joe said...

Yeah i have read it. I like what you say. My time in India gave me a perspective on the consumerist West. We've been a curse to our fellow humans and our planet.

I think I want to pursue the church as king from the angle that the church in the West has made God inaccessible to society...

Tim said...

Who is 'the Church'?

Joe said...

Tim - I'm thinking in terms of 'the church' as the church in the west.

Tim said...

yes but who is it? Who is 'the Church'?