Tuesday, 1 September 2009

'Stick close to the Word, and quit looking for loopholes'

A recent post prompted this comment, so I thought I'd post the comment and my reply:


Some people will break the second commandment without even realizing. They may utilize the Bible, but in essence they create a god that doesn't exist. They exchange the truth of God for a lie. Once that happens liberal theology will follow.

God's commands are very specific. We must be careful to except God as he reveals himself in his Word.

Sinners need to be confronted with the law. When they are they like Paul learn to recognize it, making it exceedingly sinful to them. And Ray Comfort is right, only then will they appreciate and appropriate the cure.

While I think the WoM plays a little lose and free with the scripture, the basic premise is correct. The Word of god will not return void, and I think that is what we see.

Stick close to the Word, and quit looking for loopholes.

God Bless,

Robert

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Hi Robert

I agree completely that we must seek to worship and (as far as possible) understand who God is as he has revealed himself through the Scriptures.
What I am seeking to do is share with all who will listen who this God is.
And this God reveals himself fully through Jesus.

The problem I have with WoM is that I don't believe they are being faithful in their understanding of the Scriptures and thus their understanding of who God is. I do not question their love and worship of Jesus, I question their understanding of who Jesus is.

You quote to me Matthew 7:21. What is the will of the Father? To believe in Jesus and to do the work that he has commissioned us to do. And I see this Jesus to be one who is full of grace and truth, who cares for the poor and the oppressed. This Jesus rages at injustice. This Jesus does not condemn. This Jesus drinks and eats at the table of sinners. This Jesus came to reveal love, not hate or wrath. And it is this Jesus who calls us all to himself.

Jesus does not do what WoM does.

Scripture is there to transform us, and through the hearing of Scripture, God by his Spirit brings about transformation. This is what I believe it means when it will not return void.

We are not saved through the recognition of our sin, we are saved by the grace of God. I'm sure many have heard the illustration:
Salvation is like me being in a deep pit with both my arms and legs broken. There is nothing I can do to get out. God then reaches in and pulls me out. I have been able to do nothing to save myself, it is all because of the grace of God. Yet once I am pulled out of the pit I must now, with legs and arms healing, worship God and worship him with my whole being which includes going and feeding the poor and helping the oppressed and bringing heaven to earth, not by bringing condemnation, but by bring grace and love in real and practical ways.

I'm not looking for loopholes in the Scriptures, I'm looking to be faithful to God as he reveals himself through them. We must remember, the Bible is not God and I suspect many break the second commandment because the worship the Bible instead of God.

Bless you.
Joe

2 comments:

Sam Norton said...

Joe - have you seen this? http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/dr-timothy-george-on-the-baptist-view-of-the-lords-supper#more-4299

Joe said...

Good article. I do wonder though how that oneness will ever be expressed in sharing the Meal together?
Maybe in the Great Banquet...