Tuesday, 11 August 2009

What's Your Vision?

Has your church, business, social club or whatever got a vision?

I think I'm sick and tired of hearing about 'visions'.  I don't mean in the Isaiah and Ezekiel tradition, I mean in the 'what is our vision, where are we going?' tradition.

I preached the other week about how I'm sick and tired of churches talking about having a vision.  It doesn't get us anywhere.

The last thing the Christian church in the West needs is another vision.  Look at all the strategies and visions the church has had over the last 20 years and look where it's got us...nowhere.  Decline continues to happen.

Some may cry out 'but we've got a vision and we're growing' to which I would reply 'Great!  But is your growth mainly new Christians or people swapping churches?'.

I've been quoted a million times Proverbs 29:18 saying that the people without a vision perish. The thing is, that verse is talking about a revelation of God and following him.

I think that when a church has a vision Jesus becomes neglected.
I think when a church has a vision it turns people into numbers.
I think when a church has a vision it turns people into a resource.
I think that when a church has a vision it turns love into a product for sale.
I think that when a church has a vision it turns the Kingdom of God into the kingdoms of this world.

I think that when a church has a vision it changes from seeking to be a community that reflects the love of God to becoming a business that is more concerned with money and 'results' than about loving God and loving our neighbour.
I think that when a church has a vision it creates disunity and dissatisfaction because the vision is never realised.

I think that when a church has a vision it is in danger of departing from its God given calling.

No comments: