Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Revelations - How Do You Know God Exists?

'Leading figures in the five principal faiths in Britain discuss their beliefs and answer questions about their basic faith and their own spiritual journeys.'

I watched this on 4oD and found it to be very engaging.

I thought all those who were interviewed for it spoke very well.  I think Rabbi Jonathan Sacks is wonderful and engaging man.  I really liked Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster, although when asked about the question of birth control in light of the AIDS epidemic in Kenya, he stumbled.  I have a deep respect for Rowan Williams and again thoroughly enjoyed listening to him speak.  Tariq Ramadan spoke well too and I was deeply struck by Sadu Paramtattvadas' description of heaven.

The end of the programme was deeply moving and highlighted for me the complexity of humanity and faith and how some situations in life have no answers.  Sometimes our worked out theory means nothing when faced with the reality of human suffering.  Sometimes the only thing we can do is walk with people through their suffering.  But then surly this is what the Incarnation is all about...

No comments: