Sunday, 26 July 2009

Some things make no sense...

On Thursday night I shared my faith story with the older children from beach club and the parents.  

I spoke briefly about life before Christ and how I came to become a follower of His and what following Jesus means (in my understanding of it!).  

One of the parents came up and spoke to me afterwards about my story.

I was 13 years old when I started drinking, smoking, doing drugs etc.  I was 21 when I gave my life to Christ.  This lady explained to me how her older son was also 13 when he started doing the same things, but when he was 21 he was sectioned with schizophrenia.  

When I became a Christian I had a vision of Jesus on the cross.  When he went to church he had a vision of demons.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this.  I promised her I would pray for her son.

Why did life turn out that way for me and that way for him?  I know there are no real answers.  It's conversations like this that challenge my very soul.

Please pray for him.

7 comments:

Sam Norton said...

A wise friend told me recently that the difference is faith, ie whether a person interprets their experience in the light of something bigger or not. If not, the experience is too much, hence madness; if there is a sense of a larger purpose, then faith and, in the end, integrity and redemption. We have a truth to share.

Tom Haward said...

I can't accept that. Faith has caused me to experience life in a far too complex light. Faith has messed with my mind. I found life much more simple and sane when faith was not involved... Discuss...

Peter M.G. said...

Faith sorted my mind,but I had to be totally honest with myself. I do not know enough to comment on the case of others

Joe said...

Faith is never an easy experience and was never meant to be. And maybe without faith life is easier. But perhaps the faith that struggles up the mountains leads to a higher experience of humanity and ultimately more fulfilled experience of life.

Dan Spiller said...

It's tough trying to understand justice on this earth. Why is it, like you've said, that some peoples experiences seem to be encouraging and others like barriers.
For me faith has helped and encouraged me, i think other things and questions that come with it are what hinder me and leave me pretty stumped sometimes!

Peter M.G. said...

I do not know the answer but believing in a just God and living in an unjust world faith leads me to the belief that there is another world where the rough places are made smooth

Joe said...

I'm with you Dan - Some questions always remain a mystery! But faith is the strength needed for me. You're right Peter, one day all will be well!