Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Here We Go

Sarah and I sat on the sofa and watched Barack Hussain Obama be sworn in as 44th President of the United States.  Felt like one of those historic days.  Sarah, who confesses little interest in politics or anything like it was glued and was even crying as the inauguration was happening.

Must say, I felt emotional too.

I think its because as Obama was speaking you could see the hope and joy in the thousands gathered in Washington.  I know people's expectations are high and that when they are as high as that some might think the only way is down, but I think it's not a bad thing for people to be feeling this way.

I honestly believe that the people of America will want to make a difference and want to do their bit in bringing change because Obama inspires them to do that.  America needs a figure of hope, someone they can look up to.

He is just a man, and he will fail, we all fail, but I think he is the right man for the job at this point in America's history.  Furthermore, it speaks so powerfully of the progress in racial equality and the dream of people living as equals.

If McCain had won the mood would have been completely different.  I heard John Stewart say on the morning of Obama's victory that people were looking each other in the eye and saying morning...this is in New York!  That's what has happened.  McCain would not bring that with him.  

I know it's not just about how someone inspires you, they need to actually be able to the run the country with good policies.  I know this.  But so much of the change that is needed in this world is at a grass roots level, and Obama brings hope that inspires people to make a change. But, he is not the messiah.

Ultimately, from my perspective, Jesus is the hope of all nations.  Obama will fail, governments will fail, Kings and Queens will fail, Religious leaders and atheists will fail, we all will fail, BUT, Jesus will never fail.  He is the Hope the world needs and He will make all things new.  His Shalom will stretch across the heavens and the earth.  

This is the hope I look to.

This is the hope that helps me press on towards the goal.

No comments: