Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Ho, Ho, Ho...peless


The dreaded Christmas season is upon us!!

Now I might sound like a grumpy old man with that opening comment, but I really do dislike the first 3 weeks of December.
I love Christmas once all the church stuff is out of the way and I can spend time with my beautiful girls and chillax. Let me explain what I mean by that.

See the problem is that churches do so much stuff at Christmas that the ministers and some of the congregation get completely worn out. We go in to overdrive with carol services, christingle services, outreach events, family services etc etc. The thing is, this is on top of everything we do already. So we are SO SO BUSY! We don't need to be so busy, doing so much stuff. We don't need to do so many services.
Why do we do all this stuff? Why is it so hectic? It truly robs me of peace at a time when the Prince of Peace came among us...

I can't be the only one who feels like this...?

Why can't all the churches in an area come together and do ONE carol service together? ONE christingle service together? In my community we have 5 carol services at the different churches. FIVE! Why can't we all come together and have just the one? It could be a churches together carol service. It would take the pressure off everyone. It would speak to the community about church unity. Let's scrap our own denominations doing services and let all the denominations come together at Christmas and do one service for the community.

I just feel so tired at the moment, all the time. I feel like this every December and I hate it.

'Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest'. Please Lord!

No comments: