Thursday, 13 November 2008

Rise Up and Live!

I'm thinking more and more about how radically different Church could look in this nation.

I believe the Church can exist in ways which engages with and resonates with the vast majority of people who currently are in no way a part of the Christian community.

There are things that I believe do not need to happen within Church life.  I think we need to be bold and brave and stop doing some things because they hinder the calling of the Church to be light to the world.  But some of these things are so ingrained within our church culture we have no idea how to stop doing them or even do not see why we should stop doing them.  I believe we need God to open our eyes to a lot of things and change our heart and attitude to certain traditions which are of no use to the church.

I believe there are some things which are non-negotiable however.  Things which are a part of the Gospel story.  Things that we do which define us as Church.  How we do these things and what it looks like in 21st Century Britain is another thing, but keep them we must.

I know I am being very vague, but I am still working through what all this may look like and how it will exist...not exist actually, but LIVE and be fruitful.  I think in many ways we are simply existing, it is now time for the bones to rise up and live, for the branches to bear fruit, for the living water to flow!

No comments: