Thursday, 2 October 2008

Pearl of Great Price

'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.' Matthew 13:45-46

I went and spoke with one of my tutors from college yesterday to chat through some things with him.

I am increasingly questioning the way we 'do' church in this nation and have a lot of questions regarding this. I shared my frustrations and irritations with my tutor yesterday, and was able to voice to someone with a lot of experience in mission and evangelism what my frustrations are. It was good!

I do not want to stop the way church exists in this nation (not that I could!), but want to explore new ways in which people who are not followers of Jesus can explore and relate to church and the Christian faith. It seems that everything the church does which is classed as 'emerging church' is really the same as everything else we do, just a slightly different nuance. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of what the emerging church is all about, I would class myself as emerging, but it seems largely that we are all doing the same thing, just slightly differently.

Causeway is emerging church and I love it. I love what Causeway is all about and believe God has, is and will do amazing things though it. I want it to continue and want it to flourish and believe in it and am sure the Spirit will work through it.
But I wonder if something else, even further removed from Causeway's style is needed in this nation to reach people with the good news of Jesus?

There are huge amounts of people in this nation who are very spiritual people. They believe in the spiritual realm, yet don't look to Christianity as the answer to their spiritual searching. I wonder if there is another way of 'being' church, alongside what currently exists, that can help tap into these spiritual people?

Ideas are beginning to formulate.

My tutor said I've got a lot of questions and concern which are acting as irritants, but he believes that God will turn these irritants into a pearl. Maybe these questions and frustrations are God's heart for me to lead me into what he's calling me to do? Who knows.
This picture of a pearl really resonates with me as I used to be an oyster fisherman.

Questions, questions, questions.

No comments: