Thursday, 9 October 2008

Changes

I'm not that clued up when it comes to politics. I've been trying to get a grip of what's happening in this country and in the United States recently and have been really interested in both sides of the Atlantic.

I listened to David Cameron's final conference speech on the radio and was quite impressed with what he had to say. I like his emphasis on family values and the importance of personal responsibility in our communities. I'm a little unsure how the Conservative Party can bridge the gap between the working and middle classes, but I think Cameron is saying some good things overall.


Haven't had a chance yet to listen to the most recent Presidential debate. I'm fairly clueless about Obama and McCains policies.
The only thing I would say is that I think it is fantastic that there is the possibility of an African-American becoming the President of the United States. I believe it shows a huge step forward for racial equality and it is a positive and needed step forward, not only the USA but for the Western world. I know racism is still an issue all over the world and the USA still has to battle against it, but I believe Obama represents how far the world has come in this respect.

A song by a black rapper, 2Pac in 1998 shows what has changed in the last 10 years. Here are some of the lyrics:

I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate makes disgrace to races We under I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right 'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight and only time we chill is when we kill each other it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other And although it seems heaven sent We ain't ready, to see a black President, It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks.

I think America IS ready to see a black President now. The issues addressed in this song are still real and are still happening, but maybe, just maybe, Obama can represent and inspire change, real raw change...


video

2 comments:

Tom Haward said...

Great post mate. Tupac had a lot of profound things to say through his music.

I think that's where I've ben trying to pin down why I am so hopeful about Obama and not McCain. Obama brings a sense of hope and change. That alone can inspire people and even governments.

Joe said...

Cheers mate.

I agree. Both candidates have their weaknesses. But Obama represents something that McCain never could. That 'something' is transformation and hope like you said. America is a young country with a lot of history. Bush has drained the country of hope. America needs hope and a desire to be transformed. Obama represent both of those things by who he is.