Wednesday, 20 June 2007

It's all about me...isn't it?

I was in my car today and I decided to listen to a CD that I brought when I became a Christian in 2002. It is a Soul Survivor CD and is a recording of their music from the 2002 event that took place in Somerset.

As I was listening to it I realised that a lot of the songs seemed to say things like 'I....' and 'me....'. It was all about what God has done for ME! It struck me that there was hardly any songs that mentioned US...

The more I think about it, the more that this worries me. Christianity seems to have become 'all about me' not all about HIM. I recognise that Christ died for me and that I will stand before God at judgement, but the faith that God has given me to believe in Him, the grace that He has poured out upon my life, means I become part of a community. I step into a community of believers that stretches back thousands of years. Christians are a part of a diverse, exciting, historical, present and future community. We do not believe in isolation. It is not all about what God, in Christ did for me, it is about what God, in Christ did for US!!!!

We need to sing songs that declare this community that we are a part of. We need to pray prayers together that reflect this community. We need to come to the Lord's Supper, for this is where community is properly and amazingly expressed and shared. Not only does God, by His Spirit, unite us in a mysterious way at the Table, but at the Table we share in the community of God, that is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I think we need to retrain our minds, seek God to change our hearts, and step away from this individualistic faith that we have adopted and step into the richness of a faith consisting of a community of people brought together by a God who for all eternity has been and will always be a community within Himself.

1 comment:

Rev Sam said...

Why didn't you tell me you were starting up a blog then? I hope you find it at least half as enjoyable as I find mine :o)